Friday, May 6, 2011

20 year gap

Do you guys think Watanabe is a reliable narrator? He takes time out of the beginning of the novel to explicitly mention that he has trouble remembering Naoko but at the same time despite the 20 years that have gone by he seems to remember much more than a normal person would be expected to. So far he seems reliable but do you think perhaps we should take what he says about his college days with a grain of salt?
xoxo, ya girl tina

5 comments:

  1. I think it is pretty weird how he says he doesn't remember much yet he is still referencing back to all these times he had with Naoka. I think he is a reliable narrator despite the fact that he says one thing and means another. It'll all probably work out in the end.!

    Your bbygrl,
    Laila (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, perhaps this ties back to the thing Naoko mentioned about trying to say something and saying something similar but not exactly what they meant or the complete opposite? Later of Teru does mention that he feels that he can relate to her.
    xoxo, ya girl tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. While he does acknowledge the fact that his memory is a bit troublesome, i think he can be considered reliable. When he describes the images with Naoko in the meadow, I feel he's talking with certainty as if he was witnessing it all at that very moment. He might feel his mind is playing tricks on him because of the time that has lapsed, but he knows that he is remember these things for a reason. If he remembers the memories before his college experiences, the ones afterwards should come to him with less difficulty. That's my opinion, but we'll have to find out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, but I do think it's weird that he remembers everything with clarity but has trouble remembering Naoko herself haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great conversation so far, girls! But...where's Alejandro?!

    I've never read this book, so I'm looking forward to reading your next round of posts...it sounds intriguing!

    ReplyDelete