Friday, May 27, 2011

Naoko's sickness

In the novel Naoko is very attached to the song norwegian wood, in case you haven't heard it here are the lyrics:

I once had a girl, or should I say, she once had me... 
She showed me her room, isn't it good, norwegian wood? 

She asked me to stay and she told me to sit anywhere, 
So I looked around and I noticed there wasn't a chair. 

I sat on a rug, biding my time, drinking her wine 
We talked until two and then she said, "It's time for bed" 

She told me she worked in the morning and started to laugh. 
I told her I didn't and crawled off to sleep in the bath 

And when I awoke, I was alone, this bird had flown 
So I lit a fire, isn't it good, norwegian wood
I hadn't read the lyrics when I first read the book because I didn't want it to affect the way I read the book since I assumed it somehow related, and I was right! The lyrics are a kind of parallel to the different relationships Toru has in the book. With Naoko when he sleeps with her when they get drunk and with Midori when they have dinner and watch the house burn down. I still don't see how this song is important to Naoko or why she likes it so much but I'm sure it will reveal itself by the end. Do you guys have any ideas as to why she might like it so much?

No comments:

Post a Comment