Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Sexual harrasment in the work area is not a joke

So as soon as I made my previous post I realized I should probably specify on the altercation I had at work. 


It has been dealt with and I'm not embarrassed about it so I think here's a good place to talk about it and sexual harassment at work in general.


First of all, sexual harassment is never OK. It's defined as 'the persistent unwelcome directing of sexual remarks andlooks, and unnecessary physical contact at a person, usually awoman, esp in the workplace', as I'd mentioned in my earlier post everyone at the carnival is very friendly so I didn't get too freaked out when he'd put his hand on my shoulder/back even though it did make me a little uncomfortable.


I work in the buoy pitch (sometimes the Duck Pond, which is the big money maker) and he works in the water race, and on Saturday he thought it would be appropriate to make a joke about me 'loving to be wet' over the microphone.


All I could think to do was turn around and tell him 'Stop, that's disgusting'. He realized that he made a mistake and that we are not on that level and tried to make non sexual jokes over the mic to get me to laugh it off or something. Luckily only one other guy was there to hear his 'joke' because otherwise I'm sure that would have made me a lot more upset than it did.


When my boss came around to check up on me and see if everything was cool I told him what happened, and he said he'd deal with it. I didn't get an official apology from the guy, which would have been nice but definitely not necessary.


I know this guy has made these kinds of jokes about the other women that he works with and I know a lot of them let it slide (because they probably think it's no big deal and that these jokes don't really hurt anyone) so I don't think this incident is really going to change the way he acts towards his coworkers but at least I did my part and feel a little better that he'll at least leave me alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment